Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lottery Tickets, Lakes, and Loons...


Well, I actually need to begin with last night at midnight when my dear road trip companion pulled over the car, pulled out birthday hats, candles, cupcakes, and sang happy birthday to me :)  Thanks Tudela!

Then, as we rounded the corner to Brainerd, fireworks started going off right in front of us....maybe they didn't plan it for me, but I like to think otherwise :)  We "surprised" my family by getting to Brainerd late last night, and went out with my dad at about 12:30am for coffee, pie, and a burger.  It was awesome!  This morning we woke up to kids, packing, and busyness as everybody was preparing for the big family reunion at Leech Lake.  We had two extra seat-belts in the van and they were full very quickly.  So we finished packing up and we headed off to a giant house on the lake with tons of cousins, Gramas spaghetti, and lots of fishing!
While here, my dad took me to the nearest gas station because I had to buy my first lottery ticket :) Though I did not win anything, the time spent listening to James Taylor, talking with my dad, and just enjoying his company was more than I could ever ask for.  I also was blessed with birthday cupcakes (again), gifts, family, and a special surprise present from Maine...Thanks Val :)  The night continues still as I listen to the loons in the quiet house, and the boys are exchanging stories in low whispers about travels they went on when they were "our age"...We have gotten a rough idea of a route and gathered lists for the western states, with the help of uncles, dads, ideas, and atlases...We are getting very excited.  This land is big, and though we are halfway there, we feel as though the adventure hasn't even begun yet.  We are blessed, excited, and ready to "head west"!  It is an adventure.


Mom keeps watch.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Sierra! The best way to spend a birthday yet I think :) Love you Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew, for some reason I think I teared up a bit...maybe because my birthday gift failed, but that's okay. I might miss you two...but probably not. Don't get the wrong idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    What a gift!

    You will love the plains.....and those fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Those pics are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete