Thursday, July 21, 2011

We have covered a lot of distance in the last two days. We drove late into last night hoping to reach Vegas at 2 a.m., but I couldn't ignore my headache much longer. We woke up at 8 this morning and drove by Vegas. Almost stalled once in a construction zone. Also another charming aspect of the van lately, to start it Sierra must crawl underneath the van, with a hammer, and bang on the starter while I turn the key….awfully embarrassing. 

After hours and hours of driving we made it to the town Kingman where we met up with Route 66 and did the historic loop. It was pretty cool. The road was desolate, but at the beginning and the end there were some awesome stores. At the snowcap drive-in we walked in to order some malts. Well, we walked in after observing the neon sign that says "sorry, we are open". Then we tried to open the handle and pull where it said…but the correct handle was on the other side of the door. At the counter of the 10 x 4 room a man said "hey". I asked him what kind of malt they had and he started listing them all. I said "I'll have a cherry". He goes "wait, I wasn't done…." I laughed and said okay. He kept listing. At the end I said "I'll still have the cherry". Next he squirted fake mustard at me. When my Malt was done he asked me if I wanted a straw and handed me straw…like the kind from a field. I said, yea how about the ones I can drink out of…It was a fun little restaurant. 
After route 66 we headed on to the Grand Canyon. Absolutely amazing. As we drove away and headed for the four corners the sun set over the canyon land…absolutely amazing. 

Now I am typing to you from a gas station parking lot, and there are Natives everywhere. One just approached us and started looking in the van. I gave him some change to make him go away. Definitely not sleeping here tonight…looks like another late one.



6 comments:

  1. I know I keep saying it but I can not believe how much you guys have seen. You really have covered so much!Such great experiences! Maybe someday when you guys are old you can do a reunion trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha I might have told Kylie to magnify the pics. She just kept saying over and over after that is so weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pics are awesome! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "beard" looks more patchy and sketchy in person...don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats cute Adam
    But seriously you look like a grown man with that thing what the heck My little boy went away and got all grown up

    ReplyDelete